Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dude Looks Like A Lady

It's been a rough two weeks.

I want to thank everyone who has called or written or prayed or asked about how my little man is doing.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart - your support has been amazing.

Two weeks ago today I had left Ebenezer at the emergency animal hospital due to his 2nd urinary blockage. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, unblocking kitties is quite the ordeal. It involves anesthesia, insertion of a catheter, and the flushing of his bladder and urinary system. They kept him overnight Wednesday and again on Thursday. I was suppose to pick him up Friday.

Friday morning the veterinary hospital called and told me what I was dreading - Ebenezer would need surgery.

When Ebenezer started having urinary issues last year, I started to do tons of research. I joined online advice and support groups for this condition since it's extremely common in male cats. What I learned in my research - what I hoped we'd never have to resort to - is that some kitties will require surgery in order to prevent further blockages. Surgery that is very delicate. Surgery that is expensive. Surgery that will essentially turn him from a boy kitty.....into a girl kitty.

Oh yeah. Ebenezer got a sex change.

The surgery is called Perineal Urethrostomy and it involves the removal of much of the penis and the narrow portion of the urethra. The surgery leaves a wider opening for the remaining portion under the anus. The surgery does not affect the formation of bladder stones, but it allows for a wider opening for them to pass out of his body - thus eliminating the possibility of him getting blocked.

Uh yeah. This has been my life for the past two weeks.

When the vet called that Friday morning I was overridden with guilt. Should I go ahead with the surgery? Am I making the best decision? How am I going to afford this? What is the best course of action for my little man? Is he suffering? Will he suffer from the surgery?

Guilt, guilt, guilt.

I, of course, went ahead with the surgery. Money was not a factor. I would have maxed out ten credit cards if I had to. I wanted to do what was best for my animal. What was best was going ahead with the surgery.

I flew up to the animal hospital that morning to visit with Ebenezer before he went into surgery. It was hard to leave him. I was afraid complications might occur and I might lose my little dude.

Worry, worry, worry.

I called the hospital around 4 pm that day - Ebenezer was coming out of surgery and everything went fine. Thank. God.

I picked up my little man on Saturday. He is stitched from below his belly all the way up to the bottom of his anus. It was required he wear one of those satellite collars so that he wouldn't lick or pick at the stitches. For the first couple of nights I would wake up every 2 hours to make sure he was indeed passing urine. For four days in a row, I was barely functioning as I was only getting 4 hours sleep per night.

We get the stitches out Saturday.

Hopefully the house will be getting back to normal now that Ebenezer is feeling better. We've had to keep him confined in my office so that the dog doesn't lick Ebenezer's rear end - because dogs are weird like that, and that's the first place Simon aims for when Ebenezer waltzes into the room.

So yeah - probably more information then you ever wanted to know about cats and their urinary issues, and places where dogs put their mouths.

Aren't you glad you stopped by today?


  1. I'm glad it all worked out!!!! I hope he is back to his old self!!

  2. I've been thinking about you and your kitty and checking back for an update... So glad that he is doing okay! What a horrible, scary ordeal for you to go through!

    I hope this helps his health and you get to enjoy each other for many, many years.