Monday, April 26, 2010

Kitty Love

It's the look I get when I tell people how much Ebenezer's vet bills are that irks me, because I know what they are thinking:

"I wouldn't spend that money on a cat."

Ebenezer's minor UTI turned out to be a full blown urinary blockage. We have a local vet that has a side business making vet house calls. This service is great for kitties, because if you have kitties, you know how absolutely IMPOSSIBLE it is to coax them into their carriers for a vet visit. This vet performs her examinations right in your home - vaccinations and all. So when I realized Ebenezer was inappropriately eliminating outside his box, I called her immediately. She was at my house within two hours. Upon examination she discovered that his bladder was quite full and that I should bring him into the animal hospital that she is affiliated with. "I'll bill you for this visit later, " she said, "he needs to get to the hospital now."

Off we went to the animal hospital where they informed me that he will need to be put under anesthesia (GEESH), and inserted with a catheter (OUCH). That's when I told them to do whatever they needed to do in order for him to get better and feel better.

One house call, four visits to the animal hospital, and $750 later, Ebenezer is finally feeling better.

Some think I'm crazy for spending this kind of money on "a cat." Or the even more irritating - "I'd spend that money on a dog, but a cat?"

Don't get me wrong, it was extremely hard to slap down my credit card to pay for his services. But then I would think about the money I spend without even batting a lash: apparel, vacations, jewelry, eating out. Was I really going to get upset about spending money to save a life? Ugh - how selfish does that make me? Ebenezer is a living, breathing, loving animal and I'm getting upset about his medical bills. Bills that I can afford because I save specifically for emergencies like this.

When I adopted him from the shelter I promised to love him and take care of him and look out for his best interest no matter how expensive. And when you really think about it, I am all he has. To him, I am everything. People used to ask me all the time if I ever felt lonely when I lived by myself. I never ONCE did. When I got home, my two kitties would be waiting at the top of the stairs, tails whipping and meowing. When I woke up in the morning, I'd have two sets of eyes staring into mine. When I was sick they slept at the end of the bed, when I was sad, they'd sleep on my pillow. I guess if you're an animal lover you understand. And if you're not an animal lover - you're missing out. And if you're a dog lover - and a kitty hater - then I feel bad that you've never felt the warmth of a purring kitty on your lap.


Because it's really pretty awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Oh your poor baby!!! I hope is feeling much better now.

    I think you explained yourself really well. Most people do spend money on a lot of things... and when it comes down to it, your pet is a living, breathing, feeling creature who deserves care and love and some of that money devoted to him.

    I don't have a pet but I love animals and I can imagine wanting to do whatever I could to make sure my pet wouldn't be in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very good cat mommy!!! Your pets are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete