Monday, March 14, 2011

Stoned Maybe?

I noticed something odd today during my work travels.

While waiting to take a left hand turn onto a very busy street, I noticed an African American man standing completely still in front of a mail box. In his hands he held a medium sized white envelope. He caught my attention because he would look at the envelope, then look at the mailbox, then look at the mailbox, then back down to the envelope and I thought to myself:

"What on earth is this man doing?"

He looked down at the envelope one last time before pulling open the mailbox mouth thingy. Once he had pulled down the latch, he looked into the mailbox mouth thingy for a few seconds before he slid the envelope in. He then closed the mailbox mouth thingy and proceeded to stare at the mailbox for a good 20 seconds before he slowly turned to his right and began slowly walking down the sidewalk.

"What is he looking at?"

Yes, at this point I'm STILL waiting to take my left hand turn.

I couldn't help but wonder what was this man mailing? Why was he so hesitant to put the white envelope into the mailbox?

I finally took my left hand turn and drove past the man. He had a glazed look on his face and absolutely no expression.

I wonder what he was mailing....any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... Kind of weird... Maybe he was mailing a love letter to someone he's pined for from afar for decades... and the act of finally reaching out to this person put him into a daze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was struggling with whether or not to mail his false income tax return! Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He could have been a refugee, maybe? I recently watched, 'God Grew Tired of Us' about the Sudanese Lost Boys, and it's amazing how many things we take for granted.

    It's also entirely possible that he was stoned out of his mind.

    ReplyDelete